Sidings Winter 2018 Issue

The Sidings by Graham Bentley a Quarterly publication

Hagside Level Crossing

Hagside Level Crossing Hagside Level Crossing signal box on the Bury to Manchester electric line was Saxby & Farmer type 6 design fitted with a Saxby & Farmer lever frame which was opened in 1873 for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company, it is possible the signal box was originally named Bank Top (the local name for the area). The lever frame was tappet relocked in 1883 and was replaced by a 16 lever Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company Tappet frame circa 1941. The signal box closed on 16th March 1980 when a replacement signal box opened diagonally opposite across the level crossing in connection with the new station at Bury Interchange.

{short description of image}

Hagside Signal Box toward Radcliffe



Interior of box looking towards Bury

The four levers at the Hagside Signal Box Diagram Right lock the crossing gates. Layout idea Heap Bridge Goods yard. As the winter months draw in and our minds wander onto our next model railway project .How often have you passed a redundant railway building and wondered what was there in the past. One such building is the disused Good shed is now a tile centre on Bury New Road Heywood. This once was the site of Heap Bridge Goods Yard. It opened in 1874 and closed in 1973. It was a spur off the Bury to Rochdale line. It served as a general carrier location and exchange sidings for the Transparent and Yates Duxbury paper mills. The connection to BR was to the left under a road bridge where there was a signal box that controlled the yard. The connection to the private sidings of Yates Duxbury paper mills was to the right again under a road bridge.



Close up of Frame, the Four levers at the Hagside Signal Box Diagram Right lock the crossing gates.


Hagside Signal Box Diagram

Model Layout Idea
Heap Bridge Goods yard

As the winter months draw in and our minds wander onto our next model railway project .How often have you passed a redundant railway building and wondered what was there in the past. One such building is the disused Good shed is now a tile centre on Bury New Road Heywood. This once was the site of Heap Bridge Goods Yard. It opened in 1874 and closed in 1973. It was a spur off the Bury to Rochdale line. It served as a general carrier location and exchange sidings for the Transparent and Yates Duxbury paper mills. The connection to BR was to the left under a road bridge where there was a signal box that controlled the yard. The connection to the private sidings of Yates Duxbury paper mills was to the right again under a road bridge.





Webmasters note. If anyone wants to see the full extend of the lines into the paper mills then the link below will bring up the zoomable 25 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map.
http://maps.nls.uk/view/126520664

This page updated on 10 January 2018